The decision has been made to cancel the Hanhikivi 1 construction site’s open house event in September for this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. The event has gathered thousands of visitors from Pyhäjoki and the surrounding region every year. In 2019, the open house event was organized for the fifth time, and during six hours, approximately 3,900 people visited the Hanhikivi 1 construction site.
“The decision to cancel the event was not easy to make, but we do not know in which direction the coronavirus pandemic will develop during the spring and summer, or in the fall. Several major events have already been cancelled for this year. We also feel that organizing the open house event at the construction site would not be responsible at the moment, as people’s health and safety are the most important things for us,” says Heli Haikola, Fennovoima’s regional communications manager.
"We hope to be able to return to regular business as soon as possible, and to get to welcome people again at our construction site."
With its decision, Fennovoima seeks to safeguard the wellbeing of its personnel, partners and visitors, while ensuring that work on the Hanhikivi 1 project will continue under the best possible conditions.
Open house at the construction site will return in 2021
The original plan was to organize the open house event at the Hanhikivi 1 construction site on September 12. Planning for the event was under way, and some of the cooperation agreements had already been signed.
“For us working on the Hanhikivi 1 project, the day is one of the highlights of the year. In addition to the bus tours, we had planned some new program for both children and adults. We will now move these plans over to 2021.”
For the arrangements for the open house, Fennovoima has for years trusted the professionalism of Anu Mustonen, an Oulu-based promoter, and her subcontractors. Long-time partners for the event have also included the municipality of Pyhäjoki, the Jokilaakso Rescue Department, the Pyhäjoki voluntary fire brigade, Cramo, J-M Pahikainen, and E. Helaakoski.
Haikola says that the planning of the open house event will continue in January 2021, and cooperation with the same familiar partners will resume.
The concept of the event will remain unchanged
For five years, the main attractions of the open house have been bus tours guided by employees of the Hanhikivi 1 project. During tours of the construction site, visitors have seen how the construction work has progressed in the Hanhikivi area. In addition, employees of Fennovoima, the plant supplier RAOS Project and its main contractor Titan-2 have talked about the latest news concerning the Hanhikivi 1 project.
“Local cooperation is important to us. We are particularly happy about the fact that the residents of Pyhäjoki and the surrounding region have adopted the open house at the construction site as their own event, a type of common village party that offers updates both on the project’s situation and personal news.
Visits to the construction site cancelled for now
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Fennovoima cancelled in March all agreed site visits and events organized by the company for the spring. In addition, Fennovoima has restricted the access of visitors to all its premises both in Helsinki and Pyhäjoki.
“We are trying to find new, suitable times for all the events. We hope to be able to return to regular business as soon as possible, and to get to welcome people again at our construction site,” Haikola says.